Sunday, February 3, 2019

The story behind the names in ‘What’s broken needs mending’

A lot of you asked me why the names Mr. Darcy, Jack Dawson, Jai & Veeru. Well there are reasons behind why I chose those specific names:

Mr. Darcy - He’s one of the very few well known characters who looks beyond his pride and falls in love with a woman far below him in social stature and is not perfect in the book ‘The Pride & Prejudice. I guess the protagonist wanted him so desperately to see beyond her flaws and like her for who she is that I thought the name was perfect. His sister also reminded me of Caroline Bingley who thinks Elizabeth is no good for Mr. Darcy and doesn’t hesitate in letting her know.

Jack Dawson - The obvious reason was because he’s considered one of the most romantic heros of our time, who would sacrifice his life for the sake of his love in the movie Titanic. But the character in my story is an exact opposite - who ran away from feeling anything concrete and didn’t care about what he left behind. The irony struck me as interesting.

Jai & Veeru - Again inspired by one of the greatest movies our generation has witnessed - Sholay. They are opposite in nature and are best friends. Hence, I thought it will be interesting to name them this way.

So, there you go... Did any of you guess the back stories behind the names? If yes, comment below & tell me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment